About Role Permissions
Role Permissions are an effective way for you to manage what your users can view and access. We use a hierarchy system in which you set parent and children roles, where the children can only have permissions that are available for their parent. By then assigning (or inviting) users to certain roles, you can customise the information you want them to see/access in the system. For example, you can hide Margin and Profit information on a Sales Order page and View Sales Order pages.
Before you can assign users to a role in the system, that role needs to be created and set up in Unleashed. You can create a hierarchy of roles using the Parent identifier, and all children will automatically inherit the permissions the parent role has, so we recommend you start the setup from top-down. This can be done in more detail in the Roles screen but also in the Role Permissions page.
In the former, you have the option to create roles while selecting which role will be its parent from the Parent selector on the right-hand side. As for the latter, roles created there will be automatically be assigned as children of the role of the user creating them.
For the former,
- Go to Settings | Security | Roles.
- Once there, you can add Roles by entering the name of the role, selecting its parent and clicking Add.
You can also remove roles using the rubbish bin icon, provided your permissions allow you to manage that role.
As for the latter,
- Go to Settings | Security | Role Permissions.
- Once there, you can add User Roles by entering its name and clicking Add. Remember that this new role will be considered a child of your own role.
You can then proceed to configure that role's permissions by selecting it, and the process is described below.
Role Permissions page
The following screenshot illustrates what you can view in the Role Permissions page. You can cycle through the roles whose permissions you can edit and they will be loaded automatically.
Expand/Collapse All: When selected, this button opens all the pages available to that specific role. From there, can select what pages the user can view.
Add New Role (+): Pressing this allows you to add quickly a New Role (underneath your role in the hierarchy) to the Role Permissions page.
Access: This option allows you to enable or disable access to different roles, either at page or module level. It works by simply clicking the Access icon to lock or unlock access for different roles. You also can enable or disable all Page access options at once.
Can Edit: This option allows you to enable or disable Can Edit options for different roles, either at page or module level. You also Edit: This enables or disables all Can Edit options at once. You can do this simply by clicking on the Can Edit icon at the top level or at the page line level, where available.
- Go to Settings | Security | Role Permissions
- Select the Role you want to set access for and select the pages (screens) of your Unleashed account that you would like your user (Role) to be able to access.
- To select a page, click the Access option (padlock icon) to unlock the pages you want your user to gain access.
- You can select all of them simultaneously by clicking on the padlock icon at the top of the page.
- Go to Settings | Role Permissions
- Select the Can Edit icon at the top right of the Role Permissions page to enable your user role permission with the ability to edit every page that is editable. Or, de-select to activate Read Only.
- Alternatively, you can also select the Can Edit option at line level. However, this only currently only works for Sales Order | Unit Price.
You can suppress specific information that you do not want your users to gain access on either the Sales Orders (Margin or Profit) and/or View Sales Orders (Average Profit, Costs and Total Profit) pages.
- Go to Settings | Role Permissions
- Select the role that you want from the Role drop-down menu.
- From the Roles Permissions page, select Sales from the tree menu.
- Scroll down and select from the Sales Order or View Sales Order menus—the various menu items you want to suppress.
- Click on the green lock icon to lock the item (it will become grayed out when selected). As the screenshot indicates, you can select from Margin or Profit from the Sales Order. And Average Profit, Costs and Total Profit from View Sales Orders.