If you create a shipment and not all ordered products are available, the status of the Sales Order will default to "Backordered". This is a status to simply show you that not everything has gone to the customer. If it is backordered, you can create a purchase order to get the remaining stock and then ship it. Once the stock comes into your business via the Purchase Order, the Backorder Enquiry report will help you identify sales that can now be completed.
- Create a shipment for the stock that can be shipped now. This will default the order status to be backordered.
- Create an invoice for the goods that have been dispatched by creating an invoice from the shipment - this can be done using the action cog on the Shipments tab.
- Create a Purchase Order directly from the Sales Order or run the Reorder report to purchase stock for multiple Sales Orders at the same time.
- The BackOrder Enquiry report displays:
- what has been shipped
- what you are are processing out of the door
- quantity that can be shipped
- You can also view the details on the following columns from Sales | Orders | View Sales Orders.
- On Invoices
- On Shipments
The Reorder Report displays:
- how much stock you have on hand
- if you have sales waiting for stock
- how much to reorder
- the amount waiting is in the on order column.
You can show backordered quantity details on printouts for both sales orders and invoices by adding the following columns to the Doc Designer templates:
- UnshippedQuantity (To Ship)
- ShippedQty (Shipped)
- UnCompleteInvoicedQuantity (To Invoice)
- CompletedInvoiceQuantity (Invoiced)
You can find these columns on the Settings | Doc Designer | Component tab. You must select the SalesOrderLinesGrid on the template page.
The details will then be printed on the Sales Order. Here's an example: